Chancellor Angela Merkel’s hopes of forming a new coalition government have been dashed by the withdrawal of the Free Democrats from talks, forcing her to resurrect the grand coalition with the Social Democrats, form a minority government, or face another general election. Project Syndicate writers reflect on the challenges Germany faces and the implications for Europe of Merkel’s weakened position.
Germany in Limbo
- Europe’s Crisis Starts at Home
- The Populist Tail Wagging the German Dog
- A New Grand Coalition for Germany – and Europe
- The Twilight of Angela Merkel
- Germany’s Götterdämmerung
- The Danger of a Post-German Europe