Novas fronteiras no domínio da habitação a preços acessíveis

SHANGHAI – Proporcionar habitações condignas a preços acessíveis constitui um desafio cada vez maior, quer para os países em desenvolvimento quer para os países desenvolvidos. Sendo a procura muito superior à oferta, os efeitos adversos - em termos de mobilidade, produtividade e crescimento - são (ou serão) cada vez mais evidentes. Existem, felizmente, formas de reduzir substancialmente as disparidades que se verificam em matéria de habitação a preços acessíveis através, sobretudo, do recurso a abordagens baseadas no mercado a nível municipal.

A nível mundial, 330 milhões de agregados urbanos com rendimentos baixos ou moderados vivem em habitações precárias ou estão numa situação financeira difícil, em virtude dos montantes que têm de pagar pela respectiva habitação e que os obriga a reduzir os gastos com recursos essenciais, como a saúde e a educação. Em 2025, este número de agregados poderá atingir os 440 milhões, ou cerca de 1,6 mil milhões de pessoas (um terço da população urbana mundial) - e tal número nem sequer abrange algumas das pessoas mais pobres do mundo, que muitas vezes vivem fora das cidades, nas ruas das cidade ou como ocupantes ilegais, pelo que não figuram nos Censos demográficos.

A substituição das habitações precárias existentes e a construção do número necessário de unidades habitacionais suplementares até 2025 exigiria um investimento estimado em 16 biliões de dólares - um valor que é, no mínimo, assustador. Porém, existem “alavancas essenciais” que podem ajudar a reduzir os custos de fornecimento destas habitações em 20-50%, tornando-as, por conseguinte, financeiramente acessíveis (ascendendo a um montante não superior a 30% do rendimento total) para os agregados que auferem 50-80% do rendimento mediano na maioria das cidades.

To continue reading, please log in or enter your email address.

Registration is quick and easy and requires only your email address. If you already have an account with us, please log in. Or subscribe now for unlimited access.


Log in;
  1. Sean Gallup/Getty Images

    Angela Merkel’s Endgame?

    The collapse of coalition negotiations has left German Chancellor Angela Merkel facing a stark choice between forming a minority government or calling for a new election. But would a minority government necessarily be as bad as Germans have traditionally thought?

  2. Trump Trade speech Bill Pugliano/Getty Images .

    Preparing for the Trump Trade Wars

    In the first 11 months of his presidency, Donald Trump has failed to back up his words – or tweets – with action on a variety of fronts. But the rest of the world's governments, and particularly those in Asia and Europe, would be mistaken to assume that he won't follow through on his promised "America First" trade agenda.

  3. A GrabBike rider uses his mobile phone Bay Ismoyo/Getty Images

    The Platform Economy

    While developed countries in Europe, North America, and Asia are rapidly aging, emerging economies are predominantly youthful. Nigerian, Indonesian, and Vietnamese young people will shape global work trends at an increasingly rapid pace, bringing to bear their experience in dynamic informal markets on a tech-enabled gig economy.

  4. Trump Mario Tama/Getty Images

    Profiles in Discouragement

    One day, the United States will turn the page on Donald Trump. But, as Americans prepare to observe their Thanksgiving holiday, they should reflect that their country's culture and global standing will never recover fully from the wounds that his presidency is inflicting on them.

  5. Mugabe kisses Grace JEKESAI NJIKIZANA/AFP/Getty Images

    How Women Shape Coups

    In Zimbabwe, as in all coups, much behind-the-scenes plotting continues to take place in the aftermath of the military's overthrow of President Robert Mugabe. But who the eventual winners and losers are may depend, among other things, on the gender of the plotters.

  6. Oil barrels Ahmad Al-Rubaye/Getty Images

    The Abnormality of Oil

    At the 2017 Abu Dhabi Petroleum Exhibition and Conference, the consensus among industry executives was that oil prices will still be around $60 per barrel in November 2018. But there is evidence to suggest that the uptick in global growth and developments in Saudi Arabia will push the price as high as $80 in the meantime.

  7. Israeli soldier Menahem Kahana/Getty Images

    The Saudi Prince’s Dangerous War Games

    Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is working hard to consolidate power and establish his country as the Middle East’s only hegemon. But his efforts – which include an attempt to trigger a war between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon – increasingly look like the work of an immature gambler.