Nieuwe manieren om betaalbare woningen mogelijk te maken

SHANGHAI – Het ter beschikking stellen van goede, betaalbare woningen wordt zowel in de ontwikkelingslanden als in de ontwikkelde economieën steeds moeilijker. Nu de vraag het aanbod ruimschoots overtreft, zijn de negatieve gevolgen – voor de mobiliteit, productiviteit en groei – steeds duidelijker, of zullen dat snel worden. Gelukkig zijn er manieren om het probleem aanzienlijk te verkleinen, met gebruikmaking van een grotendeels op de markt gebaseerde aanpak op gemeentelijk niveau.

Wereldwijd wonen 330 miljoen stedelijke huishoudens met een laag tot gemiddeld inkomen in slechte woningen, of ze moeten zo veel huur betalen dat ze niet genoeg geld overhouden voor andere essentiële zaken, zoals gezondheidszorg en onderwijs. In 2025 kan dat cijfer 440 miljoen huishoudens bedragen, ofwel zo'n 1,6 miljard mensen (een derde van de stedelijke bevolking van de wereld) – en in die berekening zijn een paar van de armste mensen ter wereld zelfs niet eens meegenomen; die mensen wonen dikwijls buiten de steden, of op straat of als krakers, waardoor ze niet worden meegeteld bij volkstellingen.

Voor de vervanging van de slechte woningen van vandaag en het bouwen van de extra eenheden die tot 2025 nodig zullen zijn is een investering nodig van naar schatting $1,6 bln – op z'n zachtst gezegd een duizelingwekkend bedrag. Maar er zijn vier belangrijke 'hefbomen' die de kosten van de huizenbouw met 20 tot 50% kunnen verlagen, waardoor de huren betaalbaar worden (doordat ze niet hoger zullen uitvallen dan 30% van het totale inkomen) voor huishoudens die in de meeste steden 50 tot 80% van het gangbare gemiddelde inkomen verdienen.

To continue reading, please log in or enter your email address.

Registration is quick and easy and requires only your email address. If you already have an account with us, please log in. Or subscribe now for unlimited access.

required

Log in

http://prosyn.org/N6jqCaK/nl;
  1. An employee works at a chemical fiber weaving company VCG/Getty Images

    China in the Lead?

    For four decades, China has achieved unprecedented economic growth under a centralized, authoritarian political system, far outpacing growth in the Western liberal democracies. So, is Chinese President Xi Jinping right to double down on authoritarianism, and is the “China model” truly a viable rival to Western-style democratic capitalism?

  2. The assembly line at Ford Bill Pugliano/Getty Images

    Whither the Multilateral Trading System?

    The global economy today is dominated by three major players – China, the EU, and the US – with roughly equal trading volumes and limited incentive to fight for the rules-based global trading system. With cooperation unlikely, the world should prepare itself for the erosion of the World Trade Organization.

  3. Donald Trump Saul Loeb/Getty Images

    The Globalization of Our Discontent

    Globalization, which was supposed to benefit developed and developing countries alike, is now reviled almost everywhere, as the political backlash in Europe and the US has shown. The challenge is to minimize the risk that the backlash will intensify, and that starts by understanding – and avoiding – past mistakes.

  4. A general view of the Corn Market in the City of Manchester Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

    A Better British Story

    Despite all of the doom and gloom over the United Kingdom's impending withdrawal from the European Union, key manufacturing indicators are at their highest levels in four years, and the mood for investment may be improving. While parts of the UK are certainly weakening economically, others may finally be overcoming longstanding challenges.

  5. UK supermarket Waring Abbott/Getty Images

    The UK’s Multilateral Trade Future

    With Brexit looming, the UK has no choice but to redesign its future trading relationships. As a major producer of sophisticated components, its long-term trade strategy should focus on gaining deep and unfettered access to integrated cross-border supply chains – and that means adopting a multilateral approach.

  6. The Year Ahead 2018

    The world’s leading thinkers and policymakers examine what’s come apart in the past year, and anticipate what will define the year ahead.

    Order now